Monday, September 15, 2014

The Funniest Occurrence on I-15

The following account was sent to myself and other family members.  Though a very stressful experience at the time, now mom can give it a good laugh along with the rest of us.

Read on . . . .
I told Mary I would have to be ten years out from today in order to laugh at the goings on, but, on second thought, have decided that ten years of feeling mortified isn't good so I will tell the tale and we can snicker, laugh, or whatever comes to mind.

On the way back to Logan, after attending church in Scott and Mary's ward and dropping John and Allan off at the airport and briefly visiting Jane, Dad pulled over at the Antelope Island exit to change drivers.  I climbed out and went around to the driver's side.  Dad climbed out and opened the sliding door on the driver's side, arranged things in the back seat and closed the door.  I took off.

I was intently listening to our new audio tape of "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis on the drive home, Dad sleeping in the back.  At about L.W. Miller's in Logan, I called to Dad to say we were almost home and was he ready to wake up.  No reply, so I called out again with the same results.  I decided he was sleeping very soundly, but more sinister thoughts did start to enter my mind as we were about a block from home.  

Got home, climbed out of the car and opened the sliding door to tell Dad we were home--but  I can't find Dad.  I look on the seat, on the floor and in the back cargo area.  He is not there.  

In sheer panic, I called Scott and Mary.  No answer.  Sent Scott a text saying something dreadful has happened--I am home and Dad is not in the car.  I told him the circumstances.  He, wondering aloud how I could do such a thing, said he would go look for him and would keep in touch.  I was now fearful I had run over him in addition to leaving him on the side of the road..  I got back in the car and headed south.  Got to the summit in Sardine and Mary called to say they had Dad safely in tow and that we would both keep driving until we met, which we did on Highway 89 in Willard.

Dad had wisely remained in the place where he had been "discarded," so that Scott and Mary had no trouble finding him.  Scott asked Dad what thoughts went through his mind as I sped off into the sunset.  He thought to himself, "There goes my ride."  Mary was very consoling and assured me that I wasn't a bad person or losing my mind.

When we finally got home, TOGETHER, Dad climbed out of the car and said, "Thanks for the ride."


I will never again be able to counsel anyone to "keep his/her mind on his/her business."

______________________________________________________________________________________
I certainly love my dad's matter of fact statements and love them both so much:)

No comments:

Post a Comment