Sunday, October 16, 2011

Matthew's Intensity

We have Matthew's costume all worked out.  Not because I am on the ball, but because Matthew is so determined to make his plans that he will not give up until mission is accomplished.  This year Harry Potter is what he chose to be.  He found his costume on the internet.  We told him it needed to be cheaper.  He found a less-expensive version.  He said he wanted to order it.  We said not until we have a week of no tantrums.  He agreed but wasn't perfect.  We gave him 3 strikes each day.  Finally, he was good enough to order it.  We found the site.  They were all sold out.  Despair presented itself.  We found another site which was even less expensive.  We ordered it.  It came a few days later.  He said "Can I open it?"  I said no.  He said it 300 more times. I finally gave in.  A week later he opened the treasured package.  I said, "you need to be careful something might break".  Hopefully that tragedy doesn't occur.

His next mission--black hair paint.  After two days of informing us and then pleading with us that he won't really look like Harry Potter because his hair isn't black, I agree to go to Walmart on the condition that we walk.  He agrees.  Paint purchased.  Next project---to sew a pocket in the cape for his wand.  He wants it done now.  I say, "I don't sew on Sunday."  I bet you can guess what I will be doing tomorrow.

Matthew approaches everything with the same energy.  When his mission is to earn a bead in scouts, we have to say "no scouting after 8:30 p.m." We also have to request no discussion of the subject either.  We only go to the extreme to save our own insanity.  Don't get me wrong.  I am thrilled that he is driven, but there are times when parents just need a break.  He is also being the advocate for Spencer who usually doesn't put in any requests for Halloween.  But maybe this year he will be what he so desires because Matthew is on the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment