Monday, January 19, 2015

Sarah's Mission Call

Back on Wednesday, September 3, 2014,  a large white envelope came in the mail.  I was the first to discover it and decided to tuck it away high up in the cupboard.  But then as I was talking to my neighbor, Chantell, she suggested I put the mail back in the box and let her discover it after she returned home from work.  I took her suggestion and returned it to the mailbox.  I picked her up at 6:00 from Circle of Love and surprisingly enough she didn't say anything about the mail.  Every other day she had asked about mail as soon as she stepped into the car.  We returned home and were just getting ready to eat dinner when she remembered to inquire about mail.  I sent her to the box and we heard a little scream as she opened it up and recognized the white envelope.

We determined that it would be fine to open her call  it that evening around 8:45 p.m. when Camille and Kirsten could be on the phone with us.  She sat on the piano bench and opened up her the envelope and read it aloud.  We were all so surprised that she was traveling to a different country.  I had just assumed because of her history with seizures in middle school, she would stay close to home.  It was such an exciting moment to find out where she would be serving as a missionary for 18 months.  After she opened the call, we called family members and drove to find our neighbors, the Winegars and then the Smiths.

Sarah opened the call while sitting on the piano bench.  Above the piano is an oil painting which my grandmother Thompson painted.  It was interesting that this would serve as a connection to her mission call as Grandpa and Grandma Thompson served as a couple in the very mission Sarah would be going to.



No comments:

Post a Comment